Given how D's arrays work, we have the opportunity to have an _extremely_ fast
XML parser thanks to slices. It's highly unlikely that any C or C++ solution is
going to be able to compete, and if it can, it's likely to be far more complex
than necessary. Parsing is an area where we definitely should write our own
stuff rather than porting existing code from other languages or use existing
libraries in other languages via C bindings. Fast parsing is definitely a killer
feature of D and the fact that std.xml botches that so badly is just
embarrassing.

Tango's XML package was well regarded and the fastest in the business. It used slicing, and almost no memory allocation.