On 5/16/15 2:07 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
Yeh, failed allocations are relatively frequent within the framework
components.

I find this surprising.

Consider a fixed-length buffer fronting a general allocator, one of the simplest
and most useful compositions of allocators, which I call FallbackAllocator:

https://github.com/andralex/phobos/blob/allocator/std/experimental/allocator/fallback_allocator.d

Once the memory in the front buffer is exhausted, the fallback allocator starts
getting used. The correct way to handle the choice in the composer is to first
try the front, and if it returns null, defer to the fallback.

Many other allocators follow similar patterns.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I was thinking more in terms of the whole program running out of memory, not fallback.