"Timon Gehr"  wrote in message news:mjvtqm$17d8$1...@digitalmars.com...

A related issue is that the rewrites documented at http://dlang.org/operatoroverloading.html don't all preserve the order of subexpressions. However, ideally, the order of evaluation would be preserved.

As operator overloading is defined in terms of lowering to function calls, I think it's reasonable to decide the order of evaluation after the lowering. This will still be consistent across compilers and platforms. Preserving the original order would require added complexity that I don't think is warranted.