On 13/10/2009 07:07, Walter Bright wrote:
Yigal Chripun wrote:
regarding working on a remote machine:
you can mount a remote file system through ssh and work localy on that
remoted filesystem.

I do that sometimes, but it's a problem when trying to run the
compiler/debugger, as they need to run on the remote machine, not just
locally <g>.

Eclipse has integration for that. it can execute remote commands and has remote debugging - the local eclipse debugger UI speaks with a remote gdb session. and if you really prefer command-line, you can always use the terminal view.

Also, mounting a remote filesystem fails on Windows. I know, that really
sux. At least putty works.

this requires a 3rd party tool on windows. iirc, WebDrive is free, and for 30$ you can get sftpDrive.

(10 years ago, I wired up every room in the house with two RG6 cables
and two Cat5 cables while it was under construction. Did it myself
because the electrical contractor had no idea how to handle high
frequency wires, I had to rip all his stuff out and do it over. I had no
use for it at the time. I'm sure glad now it was done, everything I have
seems to want to plug in to it! Anyhow, I have several machines with
different OSs on them on the lan, and ssh to run them from a central
location.)