On 6/9/2015 1:53 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
Sorry if I appear a bit grumpy, but even though recently a number of people have
been clamoring for more focus on high-impact, strategically important work, not
a single one of them has showed up at the doorsteps of GDC/LDC with any patches
so far.

This is what we sign up for when working on open source software. I don't sit here only writing fun stuff, I work on the dirty work that nobody else wants to do, but is critical. I've been pushing for rangification of Phobos for probably 2 years now, and essentially nothing happened. It has to be done, so I do it myself. It's just how it is when there isn't paid staff one can direct.

This strikes me as rather schizophrenic and dishonest, especially given
that the same people are quick to mention the importance of those compilers in
other contexts. Either that, or they seem to maintain the conception that DMD is
somehow a viable option for performance-critical code. In the latter case, I
don't have much hope for D in the long term, given that this would imply that
decisions are made involving an alarming level of delusional double-think.

We wouldn't have had a Win64 version of D without DMD.