On 6/11/15 4:15 AM, "Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eiI=?= <schue...@gmx.net>" wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 at 20:31:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
OK, thanks for the explanation. I'd do it the other way around:
Flag!"threadlocal", since we should be safe by default.

`RefCounted!T` is also thread-local by default, only
`shared(RefCounted!T)` needs to use atomic operations.

I may have misunderstood Andrei. We can't just use a flag to fix this problem, all allocations are in danger of races (even thread-local ones). But maybe he meant *after* we fix the GC we could add a flag? I'm not sure.

A flag at this point would be a band-aid fix, allowing one to optimize if one knows that his code never puts RefCounted instances on the heap. Hard to prove...

-Steve