On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 09:26:29 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
On 11/06/2015 2:30 AM, weaselcat wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 00:57:34 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 at 20:14:10 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Contrary to technical official definition, in REAL WORLD usage, "he" is BOTH a masuline AND a gender-neutral pronoun. A few occasional nutbags who deliberately ignore the "gender-neutral" possibility in order to promote their "you are all sexists" agenda is NO excuse for
bowing to thier pressure.

Personally I don't perceive he as ever being gender neutral(us native speaker). If I am trying to be gender neutral then I will use "they" or "that person" or "one". If some one did try to use he in a gender
neutral context then I think it would sound weird to me.

'he' has been a gender neutral pronoun for centuries, and as far as I'm aware this has its roots in latin using 'man'(vir?) as a gender neutral
pronoun.

As far as I know, "he" was not historically gender neutral, but "man" used to be. In Old English, "man" was simply the suffix that meant "person" ("person" being a newer loan word), hence words like "chairman" and "foreman" are gender neutral (The rise of "chairperson" is feminism gone mad (or ignorant) -- she said). The Old English word for man was weiman (or werman), literally a male-person and was probably dropped as in some dialects it would likely be pronounced to similarly to "woman".

A...

"man" is still used as a gender neutral pronoun in German, however, for some reason it's frowned upon these days, just like "one" in English. It's considered "arrogant" and old fashioned, but it's effin useful and solves a lot of problems.

Mind you, decisions made by those who compile dictionaries and "standards" are not at all based on the reality of a given language. Double negation exists in English (and many other languages), but it's stigmati(s|z)ed as being "incorrect". The vote was 5 to 4 when this decision was made in England. The official reasoning behind it was that minus + minus = plus, i.e. "I don't have no money" would mean "I do have money", which is complete horsesh*t. Of course it means "I don't have money". The real reason, of course, was class snobbery and elitism: double negation was and still is commonly used in working class English in England (and the US, I think). Ironically enough, double negation is obligatory in standard French, while it is not used in colloquial French. This shows you how arbitrary these standards are. Don't take them too seriously, and don't start religious wars about some eggheads' decisions ;)

The same goes for "ain't". There's no reason why "ain't" should be "bad English". "I ain't got no money" is perfectly fine, although it might make the odd Oxbridge fellow cringe and spill his tea. But what the Dickens, old chap!