On Monday, 15 June 2015 at 22:19:05 UTC, bitwise wrote:

I just had a thought as well. On Linux/OSX/etc, dmd uses fork() and then calls gcc to do linking.

When memory is never cleaned up, can't that make fork() really slow?
Doesn't fork copy all memory of the entire process?
Don't some benchmarks measure the total time including compiler invocation?

  Bit

I think fork just does copy on write, so all the garbage that is no longer being referenced off in random pages shouldn't get copied. Only the pages that get written are actually copied.