On 26/06/2015 1:46 p.m., rsw0x wrote:
On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 12:39:11 UTC, qznc wrote:
Looks like I will give a talk about D to our local Functional
Programming User Group in August. Feel free to join, if you can be in
Karlsruhe, Germany:

http://www.meetup.com/de/The-Karlsruhe-Functional-Programmers-Meetup-Group/events/223455553/

As far as I know, pretty much nobody there knows anything about D. So
I need to start with some general introduction. My current plan is to
basically talk through the dlang.org frontpage. Modern convenience.
Modeling power. Native efficiency.

I guess others here have done such intros already. What works? What
doesn't? What are the usually questions you get from newbies? Any
evangelism tips?

If it's a functional programming meetup, show off D's ranges combined
with its functional programming style.

I think this is what really sets it apart from every other C-based
language, if D had pattern matching and destructuring it would probably
have the ability to look pretty close to Ocaml.

irk be careful when showing off ranges. Get some damn good background of what D is first. It took me well over a year before I started to get into them.