On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 00:10:28 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

On 6/25/2015 11:06 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
This pattern does appear frequently in your compiler code, are you for or
against seeing it in D?

Against. A lot of the compiler code is very, very old, and is not representative of modern thinking. I've also been pretty successful at removing that stuff from the front end, and as you know, have been working on the backend as well.

FWIW, I've thought through most of my use cases, and it seems I can do without this feature(both mine and Daniels suggestions). This is mainly because I've decided to write anything close to the system in C++. If/When the day comes that system APIs are written in D, this may change, but I don't see this happening in the foreseeable future. IMO, the D community's time would be better spent improving D/C++ interop than trying to make D a systems language. At a glance, I don't see a binding for OpenCV or FBX SDK, and although there are many bindings for OpenGL and such, I wouldn't feel safe relying on them to be up to date or complete. The lesser evil clearly seems to be writing some C++.

    Bit