On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 14:03:18 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 12:39:00 UTC, Márcio Martins wrote:
[...]
Well, the compiler is free to assume that a variable that is not marked as shared is thread-local. So, it's free to make optimizations based on that. So, for instance, it can know for a fact that

[...]

But this is what a C/C++ compiler would do, unless you your data is qualified as volatile. I believe __gshared also implies the volatile behavior, right? I wouldn't make sense any other way.

So basically, __gshared is like saying "I want the C/C++ behavior, and I accept I am all on my own as the compiler will not help me".