On 7/13/15 1:20 AM, Nick B wrote:
On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 03:52:32 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 at 03:02:24 UTC, Nick B wrote:

FYI

John Gustafson book is now out:

I wouldn't have known about this way to deal with it if you hadn't
bumped this thread. So thanks, it's interesting (not sure if this book
will adequately address Walter's original concern that it won't really
reduce power consumption). I also found the discussion of rational
numbers earlier in the thread interesting.

I glad that you guys have found this interesting :)

Nick

Just read http://radiofreehpc.com/tmp/TheEndofErrorSampleChapter.pdf, very interesting stuff. I assume the definition of various primitives for unum are as compelling as alluded.

The treatment angles toward a hardware representation and primitives, yet these ideas seem reasonably actionable at language level. We'd be able to implement the primitives in software, and the result would be a competitor for infinite-precision arithmetic libraries, which do exist and are being used. Yet the software implementation would be very slow compared to IEEE floats, which limits applications quite a bit.

All we can do now, with our limited resources, is to keep an eye on developments and express cautious interest. If someone able and willing comes along with a unum library for D, that would be great.