Hello Ellery,

BCS wrote:

Hello Ellery,

Do LALR parsers care about arbitrary
lookahead? LL(k) parsers do.
LALR needs to be able to unambiguously determine all the /completed/
productions to the left of each point by looking at nothing beyond
the next token to the right. This might not be conservative enough,
but I seem to remember that most parser corner cases don't crop up in
practice.

In general LL needs to known exactly what productions are "in
process" where are LR needs to, at each level, have a finite set of
options and only needs things to become unambiguous before it
finishes a production.

(BTW I'm taking (but haven't yet finished) a compilers class so I
might be missing something)

Small world :)

For some reason, my professor seems to be skipping LR parsing.

If mine did that I'd shoot him (a scorching e-mail :)