On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 22:30:23 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
I also deleted all the binaries/libraries under bin/os directory, and use symlinks to the built files from their appropriate source directories. This way I can test changes without having to create a new installation somewhere.

It's much cleaner to use $HOME/bin for that purpose and not touch the /usr/bin, which is supposed to be managed by the package manager. At least openSUSE prepends $HOME/bin at the front of PATH, I believe Ubuntu does the same.