On 6/08/2015 10:28 p.m., yawniek wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 at 13:17:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

At the first D meetup in the Silicon Valley, Vic (an accomplished
entrepreneur who has been following up D'd path) discussed some ideas
for improving D's adoption. He mentioned some other languages have
improved adoption by means of a strong application (e.g. Rails for
Ruby) and suggested we make vibe.d, which is one of D's most
compelling publicly available applications, more prominent among D's
toolchain. He mentioned that many folks start with the high-level need
("I need a web framework") and accept the language as an artifact.

great point, i was one of these people.
my requirements where simple:
- needs to be ultrafast
- needs to produce binary
- bonus: nice language, many libraries.
in the end it was GO (many libs, shitty lang) vs. D (not so many libs,
great lang,faster)

but i don't think bundling vibe will help.
bundling dub will be enough. you just do dub init -t vibe.d and you're set.
plus you will hopefully have the latest stable version automatically.

imho the following stuff is missing/could be done to lower the barrier
of entry
(some have been mentioned already):

general language:
- join the forums. create a place to discuss vibe that has some traffic
already.
- ability to add code snippets/comments to the documentation (this was
php's way to success back in the days). A risky strategy because of the
trash,but maybe worth thinking about

vibe:
- a cool example project (e.g. a clone of hackernews similar to
lobste.rs. )
- include/document (postgres)sql database access (ddb?)

nice to haves:
- plugin system with generators e.g. for Users, Authorization etc.
- some live compile/reload loop for development (via shared libs?)

Definitely possible[0]. But Vibe.d is the wrong place to go looking at it. We need a web application server ala Java/JSP style.

And yes, I'm working on it :)
There are dependencies missing still unfortunately to do it effectively. E.g. VFS (yes a requirement). Again, working on it.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/livereload