I ran into an oddity of pthread_create, see
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1340. It appears
that if stack size is not explicitly set, the 32-bit version of
pthread_create fails. That's happening at least on Ubuntu64 under VMWare
hosted on Linux.

What is the stack size using pthread_getstacksize before the setting of it?

I would think with pthread_attr_init, it should be a reasonable default.

pthread_getstacksize indicates 8,388,608 bytes. It doesn't seem excessive, but the 32-bit build does find that too big. If I try to set stack size to that value with pthread_setstacksize, indeed the thread fails. So it's not that you need to call pthread_setstacksize, you need to call it with a smaller value. -- Andrei