On 18-Aug-2015 15:37, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
I think stability of the DMD backend is a goal of much higher value than
the performance of the code it emits. DMD is never going to match the
code generation quality of LLVM and GCC, which have had many, many
man-years invested in them. Working on DMD optimizations is essentially
duplicating this work, and IMHO I think it's not only a waste of time,
but harmful to D because of the risk of regressions.

How about stress-testing with some simple fuzzer:
1. Generate a sequence of pluasable expressions/functions.
2. Spit out results via printf.
3. Permute -O -inline and compare the outputs.

--
Dmitry Olshansky