On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 18:42:56 UTC, Márcio Martins wrote:
On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 18:04:00 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

The "truthiness" of an array says it's true ONLY if both the pointer and
length are 0.

Ugh, *false* only if they are both 0. If either are not zero, then it's true.

-Steve

In other words, it's true when the pointer is not null. i.e. in the context of boolean evaluation, it has the semantics of string.ptr

It's just making the concept of an empty array a grey cloud.

Consider this:

string a = "";
string b;

writeln(a ? "a" : "null");
writeln(b ? "b" : "null");
writeln(a.idup ? "adup" : "null");
writeln(b.idup ? "bdup" : "null");

Output:
null
null
null

What?

Also, consider this:

writeln(a ? true : false);
writeln(a && a.idup);

Output:
true
false

What?

Should we consider this weird semantics and live with it, as there is nothing we can do, or is it a bug in idup()?