On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 21:59:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/28/2015 4:18 AM, Temtaime wrote:
Are you sure that ONE Walter can achieve what they done ?

People told me I couldn't write a C compiler, then told me I couldn't write a C++ compiler. I'm still the only person who has ever implemented a complete C++ compiler (C++98). Then they all (100%) laughed at me for starting D, saying nobody would ever use it.

My whole career is built on stepping over people who told me I couldn't do anything and wouldn't amount to anything.

LLVM is a fine compiler, but there's nothing magical about it.

Besides, we have a secret productivity enhancing weapon that LLVM doesn't have - D!

Now, if I can only tear myself away from the internet for a while...

The problem is that you're pretty much the face of D along with Andrei. Andrei announcing he was quitting Facebook to work on D fulltime was one of the most popular articles on Reddit's programming subreddit in the past month.

Someone picks up D, and realizes that out of the box it has a full stop the world 1960s-style garbage collector completely wrapped in a mutex, can't inline constructors/destructors, basically non-functioning RTTI, no safe way to manage resources, a type system with massive holes in it, type qualifiers being suggestions, the non-proprietary compilers that generate faster code lag a year+ behind. Even more than this, D has no real IDE integration like C++ or Java, and none is even being worked on as far as I'm aware. D is advertised as a system's language, but most of the built-in language features require the GC so you might as well just use C if you can't use the GC. There's other things I can't remember right now.

Then they come to the forums and see the head people of D working on ... DMD codegen improvements. That inspires a lot of confidence that these issues will get fixed beyond fixing them yourself - because that's what everyone adopting a new language wants to do.

Do you know what the most complaints about D in the reddit thread were? D's incredibly old garbage collector, a complete lack of a good IDE, and a lack of good manual memory management utilities.

I'm not blaming you, I'm just not sure if you're aware of what this looks like. If you intend for D to be a hobby project, then continue on.