On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 15:15:47 UTC, motaito wrote:

Thanks for the details! I was afraid, of something like this. To me D doesn't seam very competitive without a complete toolset :( Given that D has been around for a while now I am somewhat surprised it's not further along. I know it's a lot of work and not easy to do but clearly there has been a need for this for many years now. The resources I found were several years old (not including that they must have been working on it for a while before abandoning the project). It will be hard to compete with something like QT.

I was hoping for a cross platform solution that would deliver good performance without the complexity of c/c++. But if there is no built in solution QT seams a better option. I wanted to avoid QT because of the added complexity and the QT-windows tend to lag on a windows platform. This may go away with updates and bugfixes though.

Anyway, I hope you will be successful with alphaPhobos. I think D needs it, so don't abandon it! I will keep an eye out and check again in about a year or so. But for now I have to rethink whether to use D or not.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that I wouldn't want a Phobos solution? Wouldn't an integrated solution be better? I would not have to maintain a build of an external third party project, that may or may not be abandoned in the future, not knowing whether there will be updates, bugfixes or missing features to be added. It seams like quite a bit extra management for my project if I have to keep a third party project up to date and may need to adjust my code due to an update in an external project.

Don't give up yet. I've learned that a D GUI is not so important. There is a plethora of platforms and devices (mobile phones, tablets, PCs etc etc), so it's better not to get married to one particular UI. Keep your program GUI-agnostic and then you can connect it to any GUI you want. And D is easy to connect to: C(++), Lua (LuaD) and Python (PyD).

With D you can concentrate on the program, the GUI could be anything. E.g. look at how the DCD/Dscanner plug-in works with Textadept and other editors.

https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD/wiki/IDEs-and-Editors-with-DCD-support