On Saturday, 19 September 2015 at 15:46:32 UTC, Rinzler wrote:
On Saturday, 19 September 2015 at 15:32:33 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Saturday, 19 September 2015 at 10:21:30 UTC, Rinzler wrote:
On Saturday, 19 September 2015 at 10:17:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2015-09-19 12:05, Rinzler wrote:
what does "which dmd" give you?

Nothing...

And "type dmd | head -n 1"? If that gives you some kind of path, what does then "file <path>" print?

I don't even have a tool called "type"? Should I install it just for testing this?

He means type ie enter the following line in the console:

dmd | head -n 1

It gives me: -bash: dmd: command not found

Now, suddenly and mysteriously, if I type

dmd,

I get

-bash: dmd: command not found .

Really strange...

Quick point about paths and so on: if you don't understand what's going on, or have just made a change and want to be sure whether it worked, always open a new terminal session and try again. There are caches that can need emptying, environment variables that get inadvertently set etc. I can't count the number of times I've been convinced somethings completely broken only to start a new terminal and find it all makes perfect sense again.

Totally simple, obvious advice, I know, but nonetheless always worth repeating.