On 2009-10-20 11:44:00 -0400, "Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> said:

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:36:14 -0400, Michel Fortin <michel.for...@michelf.com> wrote:

On 2009-10-20 08:16:01 -0400, "Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> said:

Incidentally, shouldn't all access to the object in the in contract be const by default anyways?

Hum, access to everything (including global variables, arguments), not just the object, should be const in a contract. That might be harder to implement though.

Yeah, you are probably right. Of course, a const function can still alter global state, but if you strictly disallowed altering global state, we are left with only pure functions (and I think that's a little harsh).

Not exactly. Pure functions can't even read global state (so their result can't depend on anything but their arguments), but it makes perfect sense to read global state in a contract. What you really need is to have a const view of the global state. And this could apply to all asserts too.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com