On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 17:58:27 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
How is whether there's a 0 before the 68 anything but bikeshedding? It's the same number either way, it sorts better as-is, and it would be inconsistent of us to change now. Changing how the overall numbering scheme works might make sense, but simply removing the 0 wouldn't gain us anything as far as I can see.

- Jonathan M Davis

How? Let me explain.

Removing a zero is not what this is about. What we are talking about is marketing.

For D to be successful, to grow in users and respect, it has to accept that certain things must be done. It must appear to be part of the gang.

The versioning system that D uses is a reflection of the product as a whole. It's the same as the website and the tooling, etc. We, i.e. the D community, are using a version scheme no-one else uses. It confuses everyone who tries to understand it. For example, no one understands why there is a zero there. No-one understands why we are at a minor version of 68. Look at the version numbers of popular languages and then look at D. D is the odd one out!

D is full of these little details that are unfinished and strange. This is not the only reason, but it contributes to why D is not taken seriously. During a dconf talk where Andrie said (paraphrasing from his 2013 Quo Vadis talk?) to be a player we have to do what the big boys do. Well that totally went out the window immediately after the conference. Because every suggestion made to follow suit of the big boys always ends in cries of bikeshedding, it's unnecessary, etc. It's not unnecessary, it's what developers expect from professional management of a language.

Updating the version scheme to be more standardised and strict will give D more cachet. It will result more trust in the overall product.

At this stage it's all about publicity and marketing. If Walter and Andrei don't understand this, the foundation is going nowhere.