On Thursday, 29 October 2015 at 23:49:08 UTC, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 at 17:36:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 10/28/2015 2:12 AM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
You are not in good company tho. Even the page you link to says
nobody else could or should say stuff like that.

And attitudes like that will only disurage people from trying to
improve this community.

http://sarah.thesharps.us/2015/10/05/closing-a-door/
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/38136.html

These are different times.

I did not mean that absence of a Code of Conduct is license to abuse others. Just that a CoC is itself insulting, paternalistic, and not a solution.

Fair enough. Its a shame you see it as insulting.

I pose you this question: if I as a new person coming to this
community and felt that I was being treated unfairly, badly or
any other form where should I turn to? Is this documented somewhere?

What do you expect to be done about it? A code of conduct might make sense for a more formal organization like a business, where you can actually fire someone, but what power do you think anybody has over this completely volunteer community? The forum is completely open, which has the benefit of engaging people from all over the world combined with the drawback of occasional bad behavior or spam.

This community is small and remarkably friendly while still containing withering criticism over technical issues, that's a fantastic and difficult mix that the early contributors have set the tone for. You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you simply want someone to complain to if treated badly, it's well known that Walter runs the show here.

Building onto that how should I expect to be treated, you
mentioned decent, how do you define decent?

How could this possibly be defined, especially in an international community with many varied norms? What you may find insulting, others may find mildly pejorative. Worse, you will never be able to peg something so subjective as "insulting language" under legalese from a code of conduct. All such a code provides is cover for those wanting to punish someone, while it will almost always be subjective if the actual behavior fits the legalese of the code.

The only possibility where a code of conduct might apply is the one Lattner mentioned for llvm, long before they ever had a code, where "an active contributor... was treating many people in an unacceptable way." In that case, there is real punishment possible, excising the contributor as they did. I don't think D has had that problem yet, nor would it be difficult to enforce for an open-source project where nobody's paid for contribution. Worst case, if there's an entire faction being abusive or supporting one abusive contributor, you tell them to fork.