On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 23:06:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 19:42:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

I wrote this: http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor, is it what you need it to be? -- Andrei

"Then, github detects the new code and offers assistance to create a pull request with just a couple of clicks."

The problem is when your own branch is a few weeks/months old. Then you have to do some upstream/update etc. magic. It happened to me once or twice. It put me off a bit, although I only fixed typos and trivial stuff like that.

It's not D, it's git(hub) that makes things complicated. It'd be good if you could just update your own branch on github (refork it or whatever) and then clone it onto your own machine. But it's not that straight forward.

PS Jeffery, the first steps are really easy. It doesn't take long to have a repo up and running on your own machine.

I might have missed a few details in the push command (writing from my phone), but iirc git will explain what to do:

git clone <address of upstream>
cd <dest. folder>
git remote add <e.g. personal> <address of your fork>
git checkout -b <branch name for feature>
<your changes here>
git push <e.g. personal>

Then make a pull request on github

To get master up to date:
git checkout master
git pull

Then make a new branch as before.

Using your own master doesn't really make sense unless your actually trying to publically fork the project. Just treat your github fork as a collection of personal branches that live at a different URL, which is easily managed with git remotes.