On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 23:07:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Rust has a nice way to download at https://www.rust-lang.org/downloads.html for Posix:

$ curl -sSf https://static.rust-lang.org/rustup.sh | sh -s --

The method is simple and transparent. An optional --channel=beta or --channel=nightly parameter chooses between a stable release (default), beta, or nightly build.

Should we do something similar?

Andrei

If there is anything I hate Rust devs for, it is the madness being advertised as "simple and nice" starting point. It is so horrible I can't help but suspect intentional diversion intended to harm developer culture.

- teaches people `curl X | sh` is fine and normal and not security abomination - completely ignores system package manager (and pollutes the system) - doesn't solve any interesting problems (i.e. switching between compiler versions)