On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 19:22:46 UTC, bitwise wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 18:22:12 UTC, duff wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 17:03:47 UTC, bitwise wrote:
Then, during recursive serialization, if you found an object which was already in the table, you wouldn't serialize it again.

But this doesn't give the guarentee that the real citizen who responsible to tell the client "hey i've got the ref" can do it. With RC, the real owner may not know that his resource is stolen by a children.

The way that I was dealing with this at the time was requesting resources(files) from a shared repository by name. The repository would either load the file and instantiate the appropriate object, or return the object if it already existed. So, no node in the graph ever really owned a resource. All resources were owned by one central repository. Now, this was only enforced by convention, so I suppose someone could call delete on the shared_ptr's internal pointer, but making this strictly enforced through language features is difficult, if at all possible without major comprimises.

There is some discussion about this idea in the dlang Study forum. They're trying to figure out how to implement ref counting in D in a totally @safe way(impossible to currupt memory). I think that some major comprimises will have to be made, and I personally wohld rather deal with this issue through good coding conventions.

   Bit

I know that there is a study group.
And it's not the first time I post this:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dnd.gif

because manual memory managment is the stuff.