On Thursday, 26 November 2015 at 16:10:10 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
[...]
The only valid reason for an IDE to directly parse the package description is basically if it wants to provide a custom UI for editing it. If the IDE is written in D, it can easily use DUB as a library and not only get the package description in a common format, but also nicely statically typed. If not, the conversion feature that was planned for the next version would trivially solve that, too.

No, there's also a problem of latency caused by dependency checking (and if there are any). But that's actually linked: if an IDE wants to make a UI editor for a DUB description it's faster to parse directly the description...Maybe you'll remember a brief discussion about this (at the end of summer when you released latest DUB version, maybe in the NG discussion created for the RC).

But that's a only personnal concern. Since SDL is not popular, there is no SDL library for the language used to write the IDE, so it sucks a bit...The day it'll become unsustainable I'll write a SDL parser for this lang, but so far it only happend **once** to find an online package that was in SDL and that I ve ignored because I knew I couln't easily inspect the sources, modify them or recompile.