On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 22:32:50 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 21:52:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
You have 3 seconds to convince a random visitor that the site is worth his/her time.

That's basically why i use the word 'flamewar' - it fits into a tweet while being pretty descriptive.

Though, indeed, the meaning among hacker communities and other parts of the internet is a bit different* so might as well reword it on the front page (I do think the content inside stands up pretty well though, and several of the posts match 'flame' by either definition).

* A flamewar among hackers doesn't need to be personal, profane, or particularly insulting. Just invested, long, and esoteric (which often appears pointless to those on the outside).

I think it looked pretty pointless to people on the inside as well