BCS wrote:
Hello bearophile,

BCS:

- it allows long code lines to be folded

This is not a problem, when you have optional semicolons, you add some
syntax to fold long lines. Python uses \ Mathematica uses \\ and so
on. Languages like Scala, Boo, Genie, etc seem able to survive.

The only one of those in common use is Python and its not a good date point because of all the other whitespace stuff it does (it's in a category all its own).

        Ruby?

Also line continuation Is just ugly. (And before you ask, no, I don't think semicolons are ugly)

I think both semicolons and line continuation are ugly. However, when you have mandatory semicolons they are *everywhere*. OTOH line continuations are very rare, especially since in Python they are only needed in case of ambiguity so you can write:

some_long_function_name (some_long_argument_name,
                         some_other_long_argument_name)

                Jerome
--
mailto:jeber...@free.fr