Denis Koroskin wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 22:43:13 +0400, Jérôme M. Berger <jeber...@free.fr> wrote:

Walter Bright wrote:
Ifthepointisntplainobviousfromtheabovefewersymbolsmostcertainly
doesNOTmeanalanguageisnecessarilyeasiertoparseSymbolsgiveus
aparsinganchorperiodsinasentencearentstrictlynecessarywecould
putoneperlineorjustfigureoutwheretheybelongbyparsingthecontext
Butthatsfairlyobviouslymuchharderthanusingperiodstofollowwhere
youareSemicolonsarethesamething

    And how it that any better:

If;the;point;isnt;plain;obvious;from;the;above;fewer;symbols;most;certainly;
does;NOT;mean;a;language;is;necessarily;easier;to;parse;Symbols;give;us;
a;parsing;anchor;periods;in;a;sentence;arent;strictly;necessary;we;could;
put;one;per;line;or;just;figure;out;where;they;belong;by;parsing;the;context; But;thats;fairly;obviously;much;harder;than;using;periods;to;follow;where;
you;are;Semicolons;are;the;same;thing;

        Jerome

FWIW, it's *much* easier to read

Easier than Walter's? Probably, but don't tell me that it's easier than how it should be written (with spaces and no semicolons).

(but I don't know how relevant it is to the discussion)

About as much as Walter's example. The question is: "Does putting semicolons between statements when there is already a space there improve or impede readability?".

Walter's example shows that removing all separation is bad but nobody was suggesting doing that. My example shows that putting semicolons everywhere is bad too.

                Jerome
--
mailto:jeber...@free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr