On Thu, 2015-12-10 at 11:16 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-
d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 December 2015 at 10:51:00 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
> > Julia doesn'have that great a penetration in the market
> > compared to Python, R, C++ and Fortran.
>
> Sure, in day-to-day work people use what they have until they
> need to start over. How is the landscape going to unfold? What
> languages would you consider for a from-scratch scientific
> library? Same thing with Swift, what languages will you consider
> for cross platform mobile development in a year or two?

Julia clearly has a strong and (relatively slowly) growing community.
It will require the "killer app" effect to change it from being a
fairly niche language given the state of the R, Python, C++, Fortran
establishment.

Clearly Go is biting into the C and Python usage, but I suspect mostly
only in networking and networking-related things.

> Interestingly C++'s position has been strengthened within Google
> in the last few years, according to Chandler Carruth, so it does
> not look like Go will driven towards replacing C++? But, it
> probably has a solid position for smaller scale servers. I
> personally hope Google will adopt Swift. And I think that would
> be a better strategy for Google than pushing Go, Dart and so on.

C++17 and C++20 are very likely to undermine any move by C++ folk to
Rust or D I suspect.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net