On Friday, 11 December 2015 at 14:32:38 UTC, JohnCK wrote:
You know what: for a language that is about 14 years old I was expecting more by now.

D programmers are too busy being exceedingly productive to brag about how great their language is on reddit every other day :)

But the age thing is kinda misleading because D has gone through several major iterations and hasn't had a concerted marketing effort. My amazing novel is like 16 years old now... but nobody has read it because it isn't actually published yet! It is still just going through the process in my brain and amongst a circle of select friends.

I said on IRC recently that D has genius programmers in it, but mediocre managers and marketers. I think that has always been true... genius programmers write genius programs, but it is management and marketing that makes something explode in mainstream popularity, just like the greatest novel ever written will never be on the NYT best sellers list until some publisher arranges to sell it to book stores (well, with very rare exceptions). It isn't about features anymore at this point.