On Tue, 2016-01-12 at 12:56 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Sorry I can't offer any help, but I'm genuinely curious by what
> you mean in this part of your quote. If the API is changing, how
> does using C++, or for that matter C, help you? Sure, you can
> include the header directly in your program, but don't you still
> have to change your program? I must be missing something.

There are two APIs, the kernel/device driver and the library over it.
libdvbv5 is trying to provide an unchanging adaptor and in many ways
succeeds admirably (as long as you are happy with all the dreadful low-
level things you have to do to do input/output and map/dictionaries).
The kernel/device driver API changes as it needs to without worrying
about backward compatibility, leaving consistency and compatibility to
libdvbv5. However libdvbv5 exposes some symbols and structures (that
don't actually change that much) directly in the libdvbv5 API. Thus you
actually have to wrap both APIs to do anything useful.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net