On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51

I tried using this a bit and it's ... frustrating. I'll try and describe the thought process of a visit:

I load beta.forum.dlang.org, fullscreen, at 1680x1050.

All text looks very slightly out-of-focus and the bold text is far too tightly packed. I notice that there are lines of text that are truncated (post titles), despite having loads of whitespace free on the page. This is instantly irritating.

I click on a post and it is loaded in horizontal split mode.

The right panel of the split view extends significantly lower than the left panel. The navigation column extends down further still.

There is some wasted vertical space above the footer and a *lot* wasted below it.

In the actual post window, I now have a line length below 60 characters, which is way too small for me, I prefer closer to 80 for reading (also I don't want code to start getting wrapped below 80). Nested quotations in replies end up with very restricted line lengths.

I click the "Toggle navigation" button.

With a line-length of 82 and less wasted vertical space around the footer, I'm much happier. However, now I've lost the left navigation column and the header bar.

A few summary points/suggestions:

The horizontal split layout looks horribly cramped in the default view, which is very irritating to look at, given the large white spaces either side of the content.

Users can always resize the window to make line lengths smaller, but if you've capped them too low they can't do anything to make them longer.

Having the "toggle navigation" button is nice for focus (less clutter, on demand), please keep it, but don't use it as an excuse for the design to be rubbish without it. I like to *option* to hide all the navigation, but I shouldn't have to just to get reasonable line lengths.