On 17/01/2016 2:29 AM, Joakim wrote:

While this would all be nice in principle, the reality is that dmd is
mostly worked on by two people these days
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/graphs/contributors) and
they're unlikely to refactor ddmd to put forth a libdmd.  It will depend
on someone caring enough to take it up, as Daniel did with the port of
the frontend to D.  As tsbockman said, I don't think we're at the stage
where anybody will put in that much effort into this.

I've already spent a huge amount of time on refactoring the frontend, there's just so much more to do. More important than allowing new third-party uses of the frontend, is that well defined interfaces will make maintaining GDC and LDC less tricky. Having to maintain a stable API would probably hurt more than it helps at this point.