On Thursday, 7 January 2016 at 18:17:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/7/2016 9:02 AM, Carl Sturtivant wrote:
I should have noticed this too; so in fact the current design can be used ignoring the scope modeling the C++ namespace. If the details of using such an external name in that fashion are identical to any other name at module scope in every context, then I therefore concede that the design is OK, because it may be treated as the alternative suggested in various ways in this thread by simply
ignoring the new scope by not using its name.

The idea is most definitely that it follows the usual D scoping and name lookup rules.

Note that 'alias' works much like symbolic links do in the Linux filesystem, in that it can make names appear in multiple scopes without needing qualification.

So what do you make of Manu's last post?
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.3421.1452230079.22025.digitalmar...@puremagic.com

Specifically, he gives examples of name collisions and scope problems that apparently could be avoided simply only if there is no named scope modeling a C++ namespace.