On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 15:56:58 UTC, Robert burner Schadek wrote:
When trying to validate/convert an utf string these lead to exceptions, because they are not valid utf character.

That means the user didn't encode them properly...

Which one specifically are you thinking of? I'm pretty sure all those control characters have a spot in the Unicode space and can be properly encoded as UTF-8 (though I think even if they are properly encoded, some of them are illegal in XML anyway).

If they appear in another form, it is invalid and/or needs a charset conversion, which should be specified in the XML document itself.