Am 22.02.2016 um 07:55 schrieb Danni Coy via Digitalmars-d:
I am trying to port a heavily multithreaded C++ application to D.

I have a lot of variables that are set once from a config file at
runtime and then never change.
It seems that something like the following would be a very clean design.

module config;

static this()
{
     num_triggers = to!int(getValueFromConfigFile());
}

private:
immutable(int) num_triggers = void;

Is there any reason that allowing this would be a bad idea?

This actually works already, if you use "shared static this". "static this" is invoked for each thread that is started, thus it would overwrite the existing value of num_triggers, potentially multiple times.