On Monday, 21 March 2016 at 14:51:48 UTC, Vincent R wrote:
However I understand that this limitation allow a clear separation between different platforms...

That's exactly why it is done this way, so the platforms are clearly separated from each other and always grouped together for themselves.

When writing these, we try to copy/paste it from the specific platform's documentation as a whole block so it is there and correct without accidentally assuming a Linux function is the same as a FreeBSD function (for example) just because a few of them were and got grouped in an OR block, but the rest weren't and got overlooked. Doing it separately makes sure we look each thing up for the specific platform to get it right.

(Version does not support an or thing itself to force this, but still if you really wanted to, you can static if or set shared version identifiers, so it is possible, just the language and library guidelines don't want you doing it that way.)