On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 19:59:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/24/2016 9:34 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
Alternatively, some software allows seeing the edit history of a post, so there is always that as a fallback if someone where to edit inappropriately.

Having public display of the edit history defeats the purpose of being able to edit it.

In my opinion, the right purpose of post editing is to improve clarity, or - more rarely - as a way of apologizing for something that should never have been said. (Anyone interacting with me on GitHub should be aware that I frequently edit my posts there, especially within the first hour or so.)

In both cases, making the edit history public is appropriate because it protects those who responded to the original bad message from being made to look foolish/unreasonable, while still allowing people to correct their mistakes.

"Deleting" posts should normally be accomplished simply by editing the message to replace the body with "[message retracted]" or something along those lines.