On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 14:50:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
tl;dr: We need more Phobos reviewers, and more importantly, more committers. Many more, IMO. I've noticed recently that there has been an increase in the number of reviewers, which is a good sign, but not enough of them have been given commit rights. Which is understandable, since we don't want to just hand out commit rights to anybody who shows up -- but at the current rate we simply don't have the manpower to keep the PR queue to a reasonable size.

Unfortunately, DMD has this problem threefold. There are like, four people who review and merge things for DMD, vs the 15-ish reviewers for Phobos and four of those people merge things. DMD's PR queue is not atypical however. I have heard that the Python interpreter has this same problem. DMD's problems are just more visable because it's on Github.