On Thursday, 7 April 2016 at 09:01:14 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 at 08:23:09 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
But it definitely can eliminate an unused result. My prediction: you took an array and sorted it, then did nothing with the result, so it rightly concluded that there was no point doing the sort. In any given case the compiler could be removing some or all of the work.

Laborious approach that defeats the optimisations you don't want while keeping the ones you do:

It's easier to just output the result in some form. I typically calculate and display a checksum of some sort.

Take care with this approach. For example, calling a pure function (whether D pure or some optimiser inferred sort of purity) repeatedly in a loop can sometimes cause the loop to be reduced to a single iteration (doesn't apply in this case, because of randomly generating data each iteration).