On Friday, 15 April 2016 at 17:11:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

3. For all problems that inout is purported to solve, I know of idioms that are definitely simpler and overall almost as good if not better. So a hard question is whether the existence is justified.

If it's something to be avoided except in particular cases, then I suggest that is made clear in the documentation. I had not realized that the main reason that inout was added was because of not being able to use templates as virtual functions in classes.