On 4/19/16 10:44 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:

The feature is experimental, and has been tested on Weka.io's codebase.
Compilation with -hashthres=1000 results in a binary that is half the
size of the original (201MB vs. 461MB). I did not observe a significant
difference in total build times.

I'd be surprised link times did not improve. With my trivial test cases, the linker started getting hung up with very long symbols. The compilation itself was quick though.

Certainly, cutting exe sizes (this is significantly more than half, BTW) is a good thing in itself.

Another thing, however, is memory usage of the compiler. My understanding is that having large symbol names requires more memory. How does that fare?

-Steve