On 5/8/16 11:05 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Sunday, May 08, 2016 02:44:48 Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 20:50:53 UTC, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
But std.net.curl supports not just HTTP but also FTP etc. so i
guess that won't suffice.

We can always implement ftp too, it isn't that complicated of a
protocol.

Though, I suspect its users are a tiny minority and they might
not mind depending on a separate curl package.

An alternative would be to move std.net.curl into a dub package.

That would still be a breaking change, is that correct?

I'm unclear on what the reasons are for removing libcurl so I'd love to see them stated clearly. Walter's argumentation was vague - code that we don't control etc. There have been past reports of issues with libcurl on windows, have those not been permanently solved?

I even see a plus: dealing with libcurl is a good exercise in eating our dogfood regarding "interfacing with C libraries is trivial" stance. Having to deal with it is a reflection of what other projects have to do on an ongoing basis.