Robert Jacques wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 13:35:45 -0500, Travis Boucher <boucher.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am writing a generic vector base class. The class implements all of the operator overloads so I don't have to implement them over and over and over for each type of vector class.

class VectorBase(size_t S, T) {
    T[S] data;

class Vector3f : VectorBase!(3, float) { ... }

The problem I am having is implementing operations that can take a matching vector. I can't figure out the proper way of declaring the type of input.

eg.

void opAssign(VectorBase!(S, T) r);
> function VectorBase!(3LU,float).VectorBase.opAssign identity assignment operator overload is illegal

void opAssign(this r);
 > basic type expected, not this

The only way I can think of handling it is to add another parameter to the template declaration, eg:

class VectorBase(size_t S, T, N) { ... }
class Vector3f : VectorBase!(3, float, Vector3f) { ... }

But I would like to avoid that if possible.

Any hints on how to implement this so I can keep my original declaration? class VectorBase(size_t S, T)

Well first, you can't overload assignment of a class to it's own type.

Ok, that makes sense, since an object is just a reference, so an assignment is really just a pointer copy, not a data copy, correct?

(It's part of the language spec, at the bottom of the operator overload page IIRC) Second, I've already solved this in D2, (using structs) so let me know if you want code.

Yeah, I'd be interested. I am currently running gdc with D1, but I did see some notes on getting gdc working with D2.

Third, fixed sized arrays as value-type are coming in the next release (I think), so you could wait for that. Lastly, you're (probably) going to run into issues with your other operator overloads because of some bugs in instantiating templates inside of templates using template literals as opposed to types.

Do you have any hints on what to look out for? I did implement a Vector class template, passing in a template parameter to refer to the instantiated type. It used mixins.

eg.
class VectorBase(size_t S, T, N) { ... }
class Vector3f {mixin VectorBase!(3, float, Vector3f); }

It compiled and worked for the basic tests, including all operator overloading.

auto a = new Vector3f();
auto b = new Vector3f(1, 2, 3);
auto c = b * 2; // c = Vector3f(2, 4, 6)
auto d = b + c; // d = Vector3f(3, 6, 9)

I didn't run into any bugs, and even more complex methods (explict methods) returned valid results (eg. T dotProduct(N vec) { ... }).