On 5/12/16 6:55 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
This reminds me of all the discussions around trying to hide the fact
that D strings are UTF-8 code units. The ultimate outcome of trying to
make it "make sense" was the utter disaster of autodecoding.

I am as unclear about the problems of autodecoding as I am about the necessity to remove curl. Whenever I ask I hear some arguments that work well emotionally but are scant on reason and engineering. Maybe it's time to rehash them? I just did so about curl, no solid argument seemed to come together. I'd be curious of a crisp list of grievances about autodecoding. -- Andrei