On 5/13/16 4:55 PM, Meta wrote:

When I was new to D and I first saw the `assert(...)` idiom in an
example in the documentation, it confused me for a minute or two, but if
you know what `assert` does you can quickly wrap your head around the
fact that it's both a test and an example. This would benefit users that
are completely new to programming in general, however.

Given the fact that asserts aren't always run, it's never comforting to me to run a program that tests something and have it give NO feedback. In fact, I frequently find myself triggering the assert to make sure it's actually being run (and I've caught the build not actually running it many times).

This has a negative affect on anyone actually looking to see how a D function works. I can write a program that does nothing easily enough, why such a complicated example?

-Steve