On Monday, 23 May 2016 at 14:05:43 UTC, deed wrote:
Some thoughts about extending the with-statement were brought up here earlier:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/txpifmwpmmhsvcpbc...@forum.dlang.org
I don't care much whether it would be with, alias or possibly something clever already existing, but a solution should be easy to use, easy to read and shouldn't introduce any possible overhead at runtime.

From the linked thread:

       ref M()   { return matrix.rawArr; }
       ref Ex1() { return e1.someProperties.someModulusX; }

If we had local refs, we could use this instead:

ref m = matrix.rawArr;

The difference is m is already computed, it is not recomputed each time m is read, unlike M(). I think the reason D doesn't support local refs is because it would make it harder to design @safe, particularly with the planned @rc ref-counting. Because M() above is only a return reference, it can't live longer than the data it references. My ref m could persist longer than matrix.rawArr using (naive) reference counting.

BTW local refs are possible in @system code:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/lmuokynffgljzvrpv...@forum.dlang.org